I am a big fan of brothers. In fact, I have a pretty good one if I do say so myself. I think that girls with brothers are lucky to have one extra male figure to look up to and another set of eyes to look out for them. No matter how much we fought, I always felt safe with my big brother around. I wouldn't trade him for anything today.
I have to admit, though, that there were many days growing up when I wished for a sister. I envied the relationships that some of my friends had with their sisters. No matter how good of friends we were, there was always a different bond they shared with their female siblings.
When we found out we were pregnant for the second time, I had mixed emotions about my desire for the gender of our second born. A boy would nice, I thought, then we would have one of each. But a girl would be nice too, then Alexis would get to have a sister!
It has been so exciting, and almost enlightening so see this relationship developing between my daughters. Something I almost have no idea about. When Alexis gets home from school they are so excited to see each other and they immediately retreat to one of their bedrooms as if to catch up on lost time. The other night we overheard Alexis teaching Gabby how to count to 10 and sing her ABC's. They don't go to bed without giving each other loves. And yesterday morning when Gabby woke up she called for her big sister. I could hear her crying out, "Yexi, Yexi" which is how she says Alexis in her almost 2 year old voice.
I know that this bond they are just beginning to create at such a young age is only going to grow and strengthen as they get older. I guess being able to watch my little girls get to be sisters is the next best thing to having had one myself.
0 comments:
Post a Comment