Monday, August 31, 2009

On Becoming My Mother.....


Spaghetti is one of those meals I can usually count on where my girls will eat a good dinner. For some reason tonight did not prove to be one of those meals. Today I decided to make my sauce in the crock pot so it could cook all day and make the house smell lovely. By dinner time, I was very excited to eat my spaghetti...

However, when a certain almost 4 year old girl was called to the table I was informed she would rather have macaroni and cheese. When I responded that spaghetti was the meal that was served and spaghetti would be the meal she would eat she expressed her disappointment in such a way that earned her the right to be excused from the table until the rest of us were done eating.

As I was washing the dishes looking at the back of my daughter as she ate alone, I was beginning to feel bad that I made her sit there by herself when suddenly I was almost transformed into my mother some 20 years ago. You see, there was more than one occasion in which I was the one at the dinner table, all alone, while my mother washed the dishes of those who had finished their meal before me.

Then I realized...I'm not such a bad mom....I'm creating memories for my daughter, traditions passed down from one generation to the next.

1 comments:

Jen Bridgham said...

Well put, could not have said it any better!!! Avery too has been unhappy with my choice of dinner and preferred Mac n cheese!